Friday, August 08, 2008

The Dog Days of Summer

I've always thought it would be fun to have a window on the Dog Days of Summer. Of course, given the fact that I love dogs, I planned on having a window filled with dog canvases. Of course, another option would be to have a window filled with baseball canvases.

I didn't know where the saying came from. Today, I learned that the phrase comes from the ancient Romans who believed that the rising of Sirius, the Dog Star in Canis Major, contributed to the sun's heat, thus making the dogs hot and stagnant. It refers to the rising of Sirius, the Dog Star in Canis Major.
the rising of Sirius, the Dog Star in Canis Major. The Romans thought that
Sirius, the brightest star in the heavens, contributed to the suns heat
making the dog days hot and stagnant.

I've spent much of my time off working on stitch samples. I had planned to get much more stitching done but I have enjoyed my time off.

I'm back at the store full-time on Tuesday. I might still sneak two long weekends at Shelter Island but my summer is coming to an end.