Sunday, March 28, 2010

Holiday Dog Walker


During the DJ trunk show, I just couldn't resist the holiday dog walker. I had just finished my Rockefeller Center Christmas stocking and was looking for a simple, whimsical needlepoint. Of course, once I bought the canvas, I then had to complicate it!

I had always planned to use different black threads for the dogs coats. I wanted the one on the far left to look like a Kerry Blue Terrier so it is a slight bluer black. The poodle was done in boucle and the Afghan was done in Peluche. I used Silk & ivory for the woman's coat and I'm waiting for White Arctic Rays for the trim on her hat.

But I realized that the way the canvas was painted, the woman and the dogs were floating in the air. I stitched a ground with Silk Lame. I used Open Criss-Cross Hungarian but I was really stymied by the background. I thought seriously about adding buildings behind the woman but decided that it was really making the canvas too serious. I looked through lots of books and finally found the stitch in one of Brenda Hart's books. Although I hate counting, the zig zag lines were a great addition.

And then I was able to do free form eyelet stitches to mimic snow. As soon as stitch the hat's trim, it's off to the finisher. I think it will be a great holiday pillow although I am also thinking of a stand up.
Posted by Picasa