Friday, June 01, 2007

The National Needlework Association Tradeshow

I'm writing the blog from the National Needlework Association's Trade Show in Columbus, Ohio. The show doesn't actually start until tomorrow but I've already taken some fantastic classes! I can't wait to utilize some of the new embellishment techniques I learned from Suzy Murphy(yes, that's Suzy Murphy of the Needlepoint book series i.e. Suzy's Darn Stitches, Suzy's Small Stiches, Suzy's Portable stitches). A group of shop owners and teachers shared canvases that challenged us. It was fun to share with other shopowners and teachers people who develop stitch guides daily. I got some great ideas for the Rockerfeller Center Stocking. We'll be using them at Ridgewood Needlepoint.

In the class with Suzanne Howren and Beth Robertson (yes, the authors of Stitches to Go and the Stitches for Effects series), we used some very innovative embellishment techniques. We used the materials for goldwork in a non-traditional way. I think one technique may be perfect for the angels on the Rockerfeller Center Stocking. I also got to stitch wiht a new thread by Rainbow Gallery called Panache. It's a lighter weight than Patina and comes in more vibrant colors. It may be perfect for the moon on Rockerfeller Center. In case you haven't guessed, one of my goals at the show is to get some other threads for the stocking! Of course, I'm also looking forward to using these techniques in the Paper Doll Club. I'm also looking fot some fun embellishments for the clothes.

Suzanne and Beth have a new book coming out in August on new techniques for embellishment. I got a glimpse of it and it should be great. I also saw Julia Snyder's new book on Backgrounds. It's also a must have. Amy Bunger has DVD #2 in her series. Of course, you know I love my needlepoint books, but I now need to include CD's and DVDs! Ridgewood Needlepoint will be carrying them all.

I was helping my sister set up the Needlepoint Broad booth. You know she does those great stadium canvases. She's added some new ones and we should have the Mets soon. In addition, Jersey Girls Don't Pump Gas now comes in a #13 mesh.

I got to peek at the show early because I was a helper. It's amazing to see it morph from empty booth with boxes lining the hallways to a Trade Show!

I'll try to report back tomorrow.

No comments: